Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 08:02:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: articles/essays on the wiki (was: John the Ripper 1.7.9-jumbo-6)

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 05:09:32PM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> OK... here's a rough first draft I wrote during lunch today. Feel free to
> add it to the wiki (I don't know where the most appropriate spot for it
> is, otherwise I would add it myself). I can edit/improve it later as
> needed:
>
> * Title
>
> Differences Between Fast Hashes and Slow Hashes

This is very nice, and your percentages cracked for bcrypt hashes are
curious.  For Owl systems, it's 0% cracked due to passwdqc. ;-)

For now, I've added a link to your john-users posting to:

BTW, we should add many other postings made in the last 2 years to
there.  I stopped doing that in July 2010. %-)

As to a proper place on the wiki, that's tricky.  What you wrote is not
a tutorial and is not a usage example.  Your "Conclusion" could be a
case study, if we had that category, but most of what you wrote is
general info and advice.  So how about this wiki page placement/name:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/articles/fast-and-slow-hashes

or:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/essays/fast-and-slow-hashes

We would then use this new namespace for case studies as well (no reason
to separate them, I guess).

If you agree, please create that page, create a stub page for articles
or essays (your choice), and link to it from "john" (the link title may
say "articles, essays, and case studies").

As to articles vs. essays for the namespace name, I think essay is more
of a single-author thing than an article.  So if we want to encourage
edits by others, then articles may be a better word to use.

> * Conclusion
>
> I typically limit my password auditing sessions to 48 hours and I audit

The wiki page may be edited by multiple authors, which would make "I"
ambiguous.  Yet I like your writing style, so I think that at least
initially what you wrote should be kept as-is.  To make the "I"
non-ambiguous and OK to have on the wiki, perhaps make it (the first
instance) a hyperlink to your john-users posting URL at:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/07/05/9

Makes sense?

Thanks,

Alexander