Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:10:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.9-jumbo-6

> ...some have
> unreasonable expectations on what's possible judging by speeds for other
> hash types achieved with other tools...

I've found this to be true for some users. They'll have a fast GPU card
and they'll see it do hundreds of millions of plain MD5 hashes a second
using some other password cracking software, then they'll get some OpenBSD
Blowfish hashes and run them through JtR and wonder why JtR is so slow in
comparison.

It's just a basic lack of understanding. Perhaps a wiki page would be
appropriate to help user expectations be inline with reality? If that's an
acceptable idea, I'd be glad to write a rough first draft provided one
does not already exist.

Brad