Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 20:02:11 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.9-jumbo-6

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 07:49:21PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> We've released John the Ripper 1.7.9-jumbo-6 earlier today. [...]

Here are some news stories and discussion threads:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/John-the-Ripper-now-able-to-crack-office-files-and-use-GPUs-1631901.html
http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/John-the-Ripper-knackt-Office-Dokumente-und-nutzt-GPU-1631424.html (German, 58 comments)
http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/vsygc/john_the_ripper_179jumbo6_adds_gpu_support/ (14 comments including my replies)
http://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=34250 (Russian, 50 comments including my replies)

Here's my Slashdot submission:

http://slashdot.org/submission/2143801/john-the-ripper-cracks-slow-hashes-on-gpu

(if the story is posted, it will be at a different URL, unfortunately).

the "slow hash" speeds curious, some accuse us of not having optimized
things properly/fully (partially true, partially not - e.g., some have
unreasonable expectations on what's possible judging by speeds for other
hash types achieved with other tools), many want "fast hashes" on GPU as
well, we got a bug report for Lukas' WPA-PSK code (one of the comments
at OpenNet), people want to build on Mac OS X and Windows (so we need to
support these targets better, including adding GPU support), people ask
for more/clear/task-specific documentation (we need more of it - such as
separate files and/or wiki pages for every "non-hash" type), someone in
the "heise online" thread asked for a GUI.

Alexander