Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:46:10 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john-1.7.9-jumbo-6 MS Windows build uploaded to
 the custom builds page

On 07/02/2012 06:32 AM, Robert B. Harris wrote:
>    Includes mozilla2john.exe, office2john.exe, and john.bash_completion
>
> (This contains both the SSE2i and OMP enabled SSE2i builds of John the
> Ripper for Windows,
>
> compiled in Windows with cygwin using OpenSSL 1.0.1c and gcc v4.5.3)

Do you have bash >= 4.0 under cygwin?
I didn't use cygwin for years, and I can't install it on my Windows
laptop right now.

Is bash completion under cygwin working for any other program (say make)?
Do you have a /etc/bash_completion.d/ directory under cygwin?

Bash completion for John the Ripper can only work if you source the
john.bash_completion script somewhere.

If /etc/bash_completion.d/ exists, one way to get bash completion is
to run

make bash-completion

as an administrator.
This will copy the john.bash_completion script to
/etc/bash_completion.d/, so that bash completion for john works for
every user (after the next login).

The other way is to include the line

. <full_path_to_john_install_dir>/run/

somewhere in your local login scripts.

But I am afraid more needs to be done unter Windows/cygwin.

That's why, just testing bash completion after executing

. john.bash_completion

when you are in the run directory, and then typing
john -li[tab]
and verifying that it get's completed to
john --list=
and
john --list=[tab][tab]
lists all the possible completions for john --list= would help me to
find out what might be needed to make bash completion work under cygwin.

If bash completion works under john, then you'd also need to add a line

complete -F _john john-omp

somewhere in your local login script.

To make using bash completion for john-omp easier to users, you might
want to patch john.bash_completion in your build (provided that bash
completion works for john).

Replace line 613, which currently looks like this:

complete -F _john john

with these two lines:

complete -F _john john &&
complete -F _john john-mmx