Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:26:49 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA / SHA256 BASE64 on 1.79-5

On 24 June 2012 14:34, newangels newangels <contact.newangels@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello Stephen,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply & analyse.
>
> Here the answer about my computer's profile.
>
> 1/ Computer's: ( MacPro & MacBook Pro, SSD etc...Quad Xeons & I7)
>
> 2/ OS = MAC_OSX LION ( last version)
>
> 3/ JTR = 1.7.9 - 5 JUMBO ( from Erik Winkler compilation + other one by me)
>
> After some try, i think the SSHA are removed on this new version by the dev no ?
> (cause remember with passed version i can run --format=SSHA here no)
>
> ./john --format=ssha --test
>
> = Unknown ciphertext format name requested
>
> Ok, i try to run with your decode one & it sem working with this syntax format :
>
> .john --format=salted-sha1 hashe.txt
> Loaded 1 password hash (Salted SHA-1 [SSE2i 8x])
>
> Concern, the thing i know about this hashe, is an SHA256 Base64, so
> how it can be interpreted by john like an SHA1-Salted, that format
> take the Sha256 even salted & encode ??
>
> Anyway, i try to run in this way so....
>
> new-host:run xxxx$ ./john --format=salted-sha1 --test
> Benchmarking: Salted SHA-1 [SSE2i 8x]... DONE
> Many salts:     14064K c/s real, 14064K c/s virtual
> Only one salt:  12414K c/s real, 12414K c/s virtual
>
> Ok, in the case is the way to go, can you please give me the tricks
> for decode this list of hashes i have to make them run properly, cause
> i got an big amount of them, maybe an Python or perl script exist ?

I actually just went to the first website google came up with base64
decode which gave me:

<data>->W6<data>

I then did a guess and cut the string at the + to see what I got then,
at which point I got

W6<data>

which I figured was the salt. I am not sure how well that guess will
work but you could try a visual check with the following python:

#!/usr/bin/python
import base64

FILE=open("ssha");

for A in FILE:
    a=A.strip()
    print a
    x=base64.standard_b64decode(a)
    print x

Just realize it will output data which will make a terminal lockup etc
so redirect it to a file

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd