Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 11:31:08 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR against 135 millions MD5 hashes

On 17 June 2012 10:28, Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 06/17/2012 05:40 PM, jfoug wrote:
>> Has anyone been working on this password dump (the original 143million
>> hashes dump)?
>
> I did, for a few days, until I had cracked about 50% and got fed up with
> all the fake passwords.

I found the SHA1 list to be more "meaningful" for testing john and
other dictionaries as there was a lot more found not using
dictionaries and jtr rules. The md5sum ones turned into basically over
60-70% of the megadictionaries from various places+jtr rules. which
basically made looking for things silly.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd