Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:27:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Word Machine 0.3.4

I want to announce the release of Word Machine 0.3.4 to John Users.

http://16s.us/word_machine/

I've come to my senses and given-up on writing my own password hash
cracker (http://16s.us/16crack/). I can't support all the various hash
formats as well as JtR can and I certainly can't optimize them as well as
JtR devs have, so I've decided to focus on CV patterns and word generation
(which are really my main interest). wm uses JtR as the hash crack engine
via --stdin and --pipe. So far, things are working well although I've not
optimized anything yet. For very slow hashes such as OpenBSD Blowfish, wm
outruns JtR, but for very fast hashes with OpenMP, wm can't keep up. I'll
work on that more soon.

I just want to share this with John Users who may also be interested in CV
pattern cracking and who may wish to use word mangling techniques outside
of the rules offered by JtR.

Word Machine (often abbreviated as wm) is written in C++ and requires
boost and a modern C++11 compiler. It is ISC licensed. If there are some
common mangling modes that wm doesn't support, feel free to patch it and
submit that to me or suggest an addition if you'd rather and I'll consider
adding it as time permits.

Thank you,

Brad