Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 03:59:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR to process the LinkedIn hash dump

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:10:49PM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> You will note that 'most' of them that you crack will have 00000 as the
> first bytes of the hash (if you are using the rock-u words, and nothing more
> than 'rules' from JtR).  This shows that whomever released this, that they
> are using 00000 as a 'already cracked' signature.

Not necessarily.  Another possibility (and I am not the first one to
suggest it) is that whoever released these hashes did not figure out how
to crack the ones with 00000's, so he/she left them in this released
uncracked hashes dump.  This would explain why the hashes with 00000's
correspond to weaker passwords (on average) than those without.  The
reason for this public release might have been to crowdsource cracking
of the relatively more difficult hashes, which happened to be both those
with 00000's (not attacked for real at all) and those for somewhat more
complicated passwords (than average in the original/full database, which
we haven't seen so far).

Alexander