Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:43:53 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Can Excessive Rounds make Password cracking Infeasable

On 24 May 2012 12:30, Brad Tilley <brad@...ystems.com> wrote:

> I understand this and the other points you make. My question is about the
> feasibility of cracking such hashes. In my mind, outside of a simple word
> list or two to check for the top 1000 most commonly used passwords or so,
> I don't think I would bother attempting to crack these much more than
> that.
> That's what I was hoping to discuss in this thread. Would others take time
> and resources to attempt to crack these sort of hashes beyond the very
> basic tests or not?

Yes people will. To many people, a password is a puzzle. You know that
something hidden is inside it and you want to see what is inside it. I
have dealt with more than enough breakins where the person didn't do
anything with the site they had but just wanted the hashes to "play"
with.  Other people will go to any length if the prize is high enough
for them (money, top billing rights, leak something great to
anonymous, etc.)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd