Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 07:01:32 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: using all available hardware

On 05/15/2012 12:19 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> So if you don't distribute all sorts of wordlist files prior to the
> contest (or pen test), you could also keep track of which client did
> already download what file(s) (word list files, password hash files,
> ...) and consider the files already downloaded by a client when deciding
> about the next attack for that client.
I am not sure this overhead should be put on the server side. A place to
rsync could me transmitted to clients and they should start downloading
in the background. Then there might be a way to encode this information
in a stateless manner. For example a client could advertise his
capabilities everytime it asks for work.

> The wrapper could also prevent the client from requesting too many tasks
> in advance. (IMHO, it is OK to download some more tasks than available
> CPU cores, so that a client can immediately start the next attack when
> one attack is finished.)
I did not follow all the discussion, but why is it a good idea to ask
for tasks in advance ?