Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 01:17:52 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new name for automation equipped working place of a
 hash cracker

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 03:23:48PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov
> <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
> > I like the idea to have 'the something' suffix but I think it should reflect
> > tool's intention and should not be aggressive. Also I found myself lazy to
> > always write 'John the Ripper' so I write just 'john' often. With 'Johnny the
> > GUI' the story is the same.
> Awww no C&C Password Factory? :) (C&C Music Factory was a
> one-hit-wonder from my youth, so I thought command and control
> password factory was a good pun, and probably only funny to me :)

I didn't know about such band. I thought it stands for game named command &
conquer... Nevertheless it seems to be a nice choice. 'cnc' seems to be easy
short name (though common abbreviation for 'command and control' is 'c2').

> > I prefer Joanne as close to John but not too close to mistype it. (Also I'd
> > like to name it to be easy searchable (by google, for instance). Though it
> > seems to be too deep research than needed.)
> Being from the states I'd pronounce like Joanne as "Joe - Ann", I'd
> pronounce Joan more closely to John.

Joan has only one different letter from John though it does not seem to be
easy to mistype it on qwerty keyboard.

> > I think 'Automata' reflects intentions well but maybe there could more
> > meaningful word to express collaboration and easy distribution intents.
> > So I propose to call it
> > joanne
> > Joanne the Automata
> > Joanne the Automata for John the Ripper
> > or something like this.
> JoanD (Joan dee), Joan the Daemon or just John the Daemon
> John Automata Daemon Extraordinaire (Jade?)

Jade is interesting because it continues line of names from mortal kombat
series (both Shinnok and Johnny are fighters). But in debian there is already
'jade' package - James Clark's DSSSL Engine, also there are related packages.

Just realized that given names should be hard for google. Maybe using names is
a bad idea at all. So I tend to stick to Command and Control Password Factory.

> John Automated Daemon Exerciser
> John's Attack Daemon Executable (or any mixture of these)
> I'm really not that creative, or my vocabulary isn't all that colorful :)

All this is interesting.

Thanks!

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov