Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 00:29:56 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: new name for automation equipped working place of a
 hash cracker

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 04:52:22PM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov
> <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
> > To do
> >
> > - New good project name
> >
> > I have a timeline in my proposal. I think I will use it as a roadmap trying to
> > move faster. So I think it would be nice to have it on the wiki but it needs
> > good page name and thus good project name.
> John the Dictator
> CnC Password Factory (very bad pun, could also be C&C :)
>
> You can call it ImBrute, a little word play there "imbrute" means to
> become brutal (who would of guessed?), and is associated with being
> cold/mechanical/automated. Maybe call a daemon imbruteD."Automamta"
> maybe, JtA - John the Automata, automaton...
> That's all I could think of, aside from "the hashinator".

Thanks!

I like the idea to have 'the something' suffix but I think it should reflect
tool's intention and should not be aggressive. Also I found myself lazy to
always write 'John the Ripper' so I write just 'john' often. With 'Johnny the
GUI' the story is the same. So I think name should not be 'john' to be able to
be written without the suffix. Also I should mention that the very full name
of johnny is 'Johnny the GUI for John the Ripper' so the new name for AEWPoHC
in its very full form should be similar. Though such arguments are disputable.
Don't you think so?

To keep the line of family jack, john, johnny I looked onto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_(given_name)#In_other_languages . There are
English variants: John, Jon, Jonn, Johnny, Jack, Evan, Ewan, Sean, Shane,
Shaun, Shawn, Ian, Ivan. Also feminine form could be used: Joan, Joanna,
Joanne, Joann, JoAnn, JoAnne, Jan, Jane, Jayne, Jayna, Janet, Janette,
Jeanette, Janice, Janis, Jean, Jeane, Jeanne, Jeannie, Jenny, Yoanna, Shauna,
Shawna, Evan.

I prefer Joanne as close to John but not too close to mistype it. (Also I'd
like to name it to be easy searchable (by google, for instance). Though it
seems to be too deep research than needed.)

I think 'Automata' reflects intentions well but maybe there could more
meaningful word to express collaboration and easy distribution intents.

So I propose to call it
joanne
Joanne the Automata
Joanne the Automata for John the Ripper