Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:10:56 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Finding words on which passwords are based

On 04/16/2012 12:53 AM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Also it could be handy to have different prepared lists. I think it is like
> prepared wordlists but more general. Probably we could rip wikipedia for such
> lists with good quality.

In general, I think a list of dates (either DDMMYYYY or YYYYMMDD) could
be useful.
If you know how old the users are and/or when those passwords have been
created, you'd also know which years to put on top of the list.
Because instead of DDMMYYYY users might prefer MMDDYYYY, this list
should also contain those dates first where DD is also a valid month.
And because users might use 1-9 instead of 01-09 (so you would have to
check both versions for these dates), I would start the list with those
dates where both DD and MM are in the range of 10-12.
This allows to apply a larger number of complex rules on the top n
entries of your dates wordlist even for very slow hashes where you can't
afford to try all these rules on the complete list.
Instead of all rules, just pick those rules that worked best on your
small subset, and try them on the remaining lines of your word list.

> Or we could even make dynamic basic words list finder that finds full list on
> the internet using human-like methods like google or our own search local
> engine (filling its database is similar to preparing lists).

I wouldn't waste programming effort on this.

Frank