Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:23:47 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker,
 proposal

On 04/13/2012 04:39 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> I think the main idea behind work flow is that next attacks should be
> corrected by (based on) previous results. So in general we crack hashes with
> common methods, take results, analyze them, develop more precise and effective
> attack, apply it, again take new results and so on.

Yes, I agree. When you start cracking new password hashes, you have
little knowledge about user preferences, may be you don't even know
anything about password policy (required minimum password length, number
of letters/digits/special character required, password change frequency,
and so on.)

So you have to base your strategy on experience about what worked best
in previous cracking sessions.
It would be good we could collect some information about how people
usually approach this task, and what works best in their experience.

As soon as passwords get cracked (or get not cracked as fast as you
hoped), you'll have to think about how to adjust your strategy.

For additional remarks, I'll use separate replies, to keep the mails
shorter and hopefully more focused on specific topics.

Frank