Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:29:02 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cracking Thunderbirds password database.

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM, a <fromthestormofshadows@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you all for your help. All the information provided has been very
> useful. I will provide details of how I went about recovering
> information from Thunderbird which is also applicable to Firefox and
> probably their derivatives too.

Were you able to successfully recover the password?

> A master password can be set in either program and this affects key3.db.
> If there is a master password on key3.db, FireMasterLinux will find it:
> The information stored in signons.sqlite can be extracted by using
> SQLite3. the information is encrypted and John the Ripper is unable to parse the
> data.

JtR is now able to crack "master" passwords (it requires only key3.db
file to do so).

1. Use latest code from https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo.
Install NSS library, un-comment HAVE_NSS line in src/Makefile and
build JtR.
2. Run mozilla2john on Thunderbird's key3.db file.
(../run/mozilla2john ~/.thunderbird/$profile$.default/key3.db)
3. Run john on output of mozilla2john.

Once you have successfully recovered your master password, you can use
other programs like "Mozilla Password Dump" OR even Thunderbird itself
to view passwords stored in signons.sqlite.
(John by itself doesn't understand anything about signons.sqlite3).

--
Cheers,
Dhiru