Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 05:04:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hahses + Pass output

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 01:40:13AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> cut -d: -f2 File.txt | grep : | grep -f - john.pot
>
> Another possibility is that the $dynamic_0$ lines are correct but you
> don't want the tags in the output. If so, you could try this:
>
> cut -d: -f2 File.txt | grep : | sed 's/^\$dynamic_0\$//' | grep -f - john.pot
>
> That's off the top of my head and untested.

These are slightly wrong - the "grep :" will provide empty output when
applied just to the second field.  You meant something like:

fgrep : File.txt | cut -d: -f2 | fgrep -f - john.pot

BTW, it is fairly important to use fgrep (not grep).  Some hash
encodings contain dots and dollar signs, which are special to grep.

Anyway, all of these are just non-perfect hacks.  To get the job done in
a more correct manner, a custom script would need to be written or we
need to add functionality to JtR itself (another --show output format).

Alexander