Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:23:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: how to install system wide

On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 05:23:39PM +0000, billy wrote:
> Hi i'm trying to install john the ripper 1.7.8 jumbo 7

Why use an outdated version?

> as a system wide installation on ubuntu 11.04.

Are you a package maintainer for Ubuntu?  If not, then what's your
reason to install John system-wide?  Currently, this functionality is
meant for use in packages only.

> I've read the installation instructions and i
> think that the following should install it system wide:
>
> sudo make clean CFLAGS=-DJOHN_SYSTEMWIDE=1  linux-x86-64

No, it should not.  The process for system-wide installs is a lot more
complicated.  For example, see john.spec in Owl:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john.spec?rev=HEAD

Maybe we should add support for end-user system-wide installs as well,
but it's not there currently.

> however i'm getting the following error when i enter the above in to a terminal:

These specific error may be because you dropped everything from CFLAGS,
replacing it with just -DJOHN_SYSTEMWIDE=1.

But like I said, most likely you shouldn't be doing a system-wide
install in the first place - unless you have a very good reason to do it
(please name it and we'll be happy to help then).

Alexander