Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 18:12:19 +0100
From: Sven Koesling <mcsvenster@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: john compiled for mac os not working

Hello,

I have a problem using john under mac os x (lion, 10.7). For testing I use
an unshadowed passwd file called pwd from a linux test machine.

When I run john under Mac OS I get the error "No password hashes loaded
(see FAQ)":

./john ../../pwd
No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

When I run john under Linux (debian) I get:

./john ../../pwd
Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (generic crypt(3) [?/64])

and everything works fine.

I am using the same file (pwd), which opens fine with vim on both systems.
On both systems I compiled john 1.7.9-jumbo ("make clean linux-x86-64"
respectively "make clean macosx-x86-64").

Do You have any hints for me?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Sven