Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:40:32 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Best performance MPI vs OMP

2012/3/1 Javier González del Tánago Liberal <jtanago@...mun.ls.fi.upm.es>:
> Hi!
> I did real tests with both. With nethalflm for example, MPI took six minutes
> to break the password, with OMP I aborted the process after two hours. It's
> incredible the big difference between both.
That has to be way too disproportionate... Doesn't MPI do some
"weighing" of password strength vs OMP just splitting up incremental?
(I don't know the internals of either, but that's what I seem to understand
is going on with them)
So to me it seems MPI may have some "advantage" with this password,
or the entry for that password in john.pot wasn't cleared and the second
run isn't even trying that password. Are you using separate john.pot's or
separate folders/machines for testing? It really sounds out of whack for
a fast hash like LM or NTLM to take so long on these two type of JtR
builds, it's probably possible, this was just my gut reaction.
-rich