Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 20:08:22 -0500
From: "Robert B. Harris" <rs904c@...scape.net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Building a statically linked OMP version of JtR 1.7.9 and JtR 1.7.9 jumbo 5 nearly impossible on Solaris x86

Alex,

I was able to create Static build on JtR on Solaris, because I compiled
Openssl.

I compile my own gcc.  I think it is a complete gcc, but still don't have
libgomp.a.    Perhaps there is a special configuration parameter need to
ensure there is a static libgomp.a library file?  If so, I don't know it and
would have to research to find out.   I used the same configuration
parameters in the new gcc, as the old one used.

I never did an omp build on Solaris before.

I did a find on my Solaris machine and it does not have librt.a anywhere.
It has other developer stuff on it.   I think I'm running into the decision
of Sun/Orale, not to include static libraries, so users can't easily
statically link.

So, I tried my dynamically linked omp version of john on belenix (an
OpenSolaris OS), and it failed because it didn't have libgomp.so anywhere.
The statically linked to OpenSSL version (not omp enabled) of john on
belenix runs just fine.

-Robert B. Harris from VA