Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:51:06 +0000
From: Alex Sicamiotis <alekshs@...mail.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: OpenMP progress report bug with multiple 1 thread
 instances

> Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 02:55:40 +0400
> From: solar@...nwall.com
> To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
> Subject: Re: [john-users] OpenMP progress report bug with multiple 1 thread instances
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:19:37PM +0000, Alex Sicamiotis wrote:
> > The rule was
> >
> > A0"[abcdefghijklmnpqrstuvwxyz][abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz][abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz][1234567890][1234567890][1234567890][1234567890]"
> >
> > for the first instance
> >
> > and
> >
> > A0"[abcdefghijklmnpqrstuvwxyz][abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz][abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz][abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz][1234567890][1234567890][1234567890]"
> >
> > for the second instance.
>
> Ouch.  That's over 600 million rules after preprocessing.  I am not
> surprised this causes an integer overflow during the progress percentage
> calculation.  We'll probably deal with this, though.  Will also need to
> speed up startup time (don't pre-check the syntax of all these rules
> when there are so many).

Yeah, john.log is increasing like crazy. I usually delete it after I start a session so that new data does not get appended to it. In this case I hadn't deleted it but sizes were small (<1 GB).

> BTW, did you intentionally omit "o" from the first letter list?

No... it's accidental - well spotted. I had a broken sequence (ctrl+c, up arrow, and a rushed ENTER... thought that ./john -restore will start as usual but it was ./john passwd -w:2.lst -rules so it started all over again, lol) where I reached halfway through the "p"... then I removed everything prior to the o in something like a manual resume. When it finished I went for the +1 length, but added again the rest of the range... apparently forgot the o and its been missing for 4 or 5 days and 3 rule attempts, lol.

> ...and you could use ranges:
>
> A0"[a-z][a-z][a-z][1-90][1-90][1-90][1-90]"
>
> Also, you could put the first rather than the last character in your
> wordlist.  Then the rules would use Az instead of A0.  Az is slightly
> faster.  You wouldn't notice the difference when running on many salts,
> though.
>
> Alexander

Hmm... I wouldn't imagine Az having a performance difference with A0 - interesting... I usually prefer A0 because people tend to put numbers or symbols in the end and I've made a few wordfiles like the 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 with numbers/numbers-symbols/letters-symbols/letters-numbers-symbols, so I'm using it more often.

One question I have, is how do you put the [ or ] characters as possible candidates. It's the only symbols I'm having a problem with. The brackets seem to be used for range formatting in the .conf and thus you can't just enclose a bracket in the brackets (or can I?). For the last letter I have no problem because I can simply put a "[" as a line in the wordlist.