Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:36:57 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR OpenCL patch

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 02:01:46PM +0100, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> I am happy to announce new version of OpenCL patch for John The Ripper.

Thank you!

> Itis available on wiki - john-1.7.9-jumbo-5-opencl-4.1.diff.

(Now updated further to -5.)

> * Supported formats: ssha-opencl, raw-md5-opencl, nt-opencl,
> raw-sha1-opencl, cryptmd5-opencl, phpass-opencl
> * -gpu option is added for multi OpenCL device systems, works also for
> OpenCL capable CPUs like Intel Sandy Bridge

Did you actually test on CPUs?  What OpenCL implementation did you use?

My understanding is that Intel's OpenCL implementation is currently only
capable of using CPU cores, but not yet the GPU component present in
Sandy Bridge chips.  On the bright side, it does not actually require
Sandy Bridge, but also supports many older CPUs from Intel.

> * faster cryptmd5 and ssha formats

Got any numbers you can post?  Is cryptmd5 as supported in your OpenCL
patch still slower than it is with your CUDA patch?

> More info about usage is available at the top of this page:
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/GPU

FWIW, I've recently started mirroring these patches here:

http://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/gpu/

Alexander