Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:08:53 +0530
From: Ramprasad Prasad <ramprasad.ap@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: using john-1.7.9-jumbo-5 for sha1 passwords

I want to use john for cracking sha1 passwords is that possible ?
I am using   perl function  Digest::SHA::sha1_base64  for generating
passwords

$ perl -MDigest::SHA -le 'print "user:".Digest::SHA::sha1_base64($ARGV[0])'
password > pass1

But decrypting does not work

$ ./john  --format=sha1-gen pass1
No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

$ ./john  --format=raw-sha1 pass1
No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

Thanks
Ram

PS: I had as similar problem with md5 ..  but using the jumbo version on
suggestion from this list solved the issue.
How do I get sha1 passwords ?