Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 17:21:50 +0700
From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@....ru>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo5 fails to build with OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp -msse2

Sorry for belated reply: I am not subscribed to the list, and for some
strange reason your reply went to the list only...

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:09:51 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 03:22:23PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> >     DES_fmt.o(.text+0xf1): In function `get_key':
> >     : undefined reference to `DES_bs_all'
> > Why does it happen?
>
> It looks like you forgot to do a "make clean" between different builds.
> Which files provide these symbols varies between builds, and your build
> appears to be inconsistent (a mix of different builds).

It turned out that the problem was due to overly aggressive patching of
src/Makefile in JtR FreeBSD's port.  After I realized that the problem
does not exhibit itself with vanilla john-1.7.9-jumbo-5, locating the
culprit was trivial.  Sorry for false alarm.  :-(

> Also, for optimal performance you need to be using a 64-bit build,
> whereas x86-sse.o is only used in 32-bit builds.  Unless you're in fact
> on an old 32-bit system, please do a "make clean" and then "make
> freebsd-x86-64i".  If this fails, then do another "make clean" and
> revert to "make freebsd-x86-64" (without the "i").

Yes, my ~2006 laptop is ia32 only.  Do I read you correctly that for both
x86/x64 builds I should prefer `i'-suffixed targets (x86-sse2i/x86-64i)?

Thanks,

./danfe