Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:09:18 -0700
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Testing longer than 16 character words in crypt-md5

On 2 January 2012 19:00, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 06:50:42PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> I see that the MD5-crypt ($1$) implementation in john the ripper maxes
>> out at 15 characters, but other versions such as what I could figure
>> out in glibc do not limit to that amount. My initial guess is that the
>> limitation is due to some sort of speed up used in hashing.
>
> Yes, that's the case.
>
>> My want is to check to see how many passwords are using an email
>> address with some minimal changes that John the Rippers rules are
>> great for. but most of the accounts are over 16 characters in length.
>> Currently I am looking at using JTR to output the modified and then
>> doing an awk script to feed that to openssl but that seems slower and
>> missing some obvious herpderp item I am not seeing.
>
> You can simply use --format=crypt to make JtR use the system-provided
> code.  Of course, this will be a lot slower than JtR's optimized code.
>
> I suggest that you do this in an OpenMP-enabled build.

Thankyou for the quick answer on this. When I read the documents I
somehow kept thinking --format=crypt would be the standard Unix DES
version which made me not look at it any further. An OpenMP version
will be what I will need to look at long term.. for a test case it is
a 1 CPU E5300 until I can get a better cluster.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd