Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:53:01 -0500
From: APseudoUtopia <apseudoutopia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: New User - Some JtR questions.

Hi all,

I just discovered JtR and I'm playing around on my systems with it. I
have a couple questions about it.

I have a Win7 system that uses NTLM hashes. I also have a FreeBSD
system, which uses blowfish for root and md5 for my user account. I
was wondering which would be fastest/easiest to crack in incremental
mode? Yes, I do know that it probably will take an extremely long time
(months?) to crack a long password, but I'm just curious to run it for
a couple days and see what happens.

I have already tried all three hashes (NTLM, Blowfish, and MD5) using
both single and wordlist modes (using the "all" wordlist). I was
wondering if it would be worth it to search a larger wordlist out on
the internet and try that?

What can I do to give john "hints" to speed up the process? For
example, I know the passwords I use are all lower-case letters, with a
couple numbers appended to the end. Is there a trick to setting the
wordlist rules to do this? Or even in incremental mode?

Thank you everyone!