Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 08:29:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenMP not using all threads

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 07:55:50PM -0500, Stephen Reese wrote:
> The tests were on a Linode which is shared XEN hosting.
[...]
> What I am trying to achieve: I have 42 DES passwords and three
> Linodes.

BTW, you might be violating Linode's Terms of Service, depending on
their interpretation of it:

http://www.linode.com/tos.cfm

"Prohibited Usage

You agree that any of the below activities are considered prohibited
usage and will result in immediate account suspension or cancellation
without a refund and the possibility that Linode.com will impose fees;
and/or pursue civil remedies without providing advance notice.

Misuse of System Resources: Intentional misuse of system resources,
including but not limited to employing programs that consume excessive
network capacity, CPU cycles, or disk IO."

You could want to inquire with them to make sure they're OK with this
sort of use.

Also, you could want to check the logical CPU count as seen from your
Xen VM:

grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo

This will probably print 4 or 8.  You need to adjust the number of
processes accordingly.

Alexander