Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:52:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux MIPS

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:32:07AM -0400, Nigel Sollars wrote:
> You are indeed correct they are big endian and it is mips ( 64bit linux ) vs
> mipsel ( 32bit ).

I think you're confused.  What I meant is that your generic.h is correct
for your system and given compiler settings (the program producing it
autodetects endianness and word size), but you could do better by
tweaking the options to gcc.  Then different settings would be in effect
and would be autodetected.

This will not help you build -jumbo, but it may result in a speedup
without -jumbo.  For -jumbo, we're waiting for JimF to look into the
issue you reported previously.

> I added -mtune=mips64 and -mips64 to the CFLAGS,  and also just -mips64, it
> breaks here

I literally meant "-m64" and only it.  Can you just try that?  And also
stop trying to build -jumbo for now.

> here is the out put from uname ( not given previously )
>
> root@...y:/usr/src/john-1.7.8/src# uname -a
> Linux indy 2.6.32-5-r4k-ip22 #1 Mon Oct 3 13:56:54 UTC 2011 mips64 GNU/Linux

So you appear to be running a 64-bit kernel indeed.  What does
/proc/cpuinfo say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4000

"... announced on 1 October 1991, it was one of the first 64-bit
microprocessors ..."

...and you probably actually have something newer than an r4k.

Also, since you were able to get non-jumbo to work, would you submit
your benchmark results to the wiki? -

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks

Alexander