Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:55:32 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: filter performances

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> To measure the performance cost of the external filter from policy4.conf
> from my previous message, I changed "word = 0;" to "i = 0;" (also a
> variable assignment, but effectively a no-op one).  This edited filter
> should have the same performance cost, but it should not filter anything
> out.  Running with this filter on one DES-based crypt(3) hash with
> incremental mode and the length locked to 8, I am getting 65% of the
> original c/s rate.  So the filter's overhead is by far not as bad as
> what one could think from Jerome's postings.
Would generating an "all.chr" for a policy4 be as good as perhaps
filtering Rockyou/Gawker/Facebook/etc (real world).I guess before
asking that I should of asked, if using a "policy" chr file would make
enough difference in time, I can see it doing so at first, but would
that "advantage" not mean more than 1-2 hours off in the end?
-rich