Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:29:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion password hashes (salted SHA-512)

Peter,

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 08:08:59AM -0700, Link, Peter R. wrote:
> Has anyone tried this on a Mac?

The instructions at http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/perl/cpan have
only been tested on Linux by us, but they're not OS-specific.  They
should also work on OS X and on other Unix-like systems as-is (you
might need to explicitly choose "bash" as your shell, though).

> Grigoriy seemed to have a "fun" time installing it and getting it to work.

That wiki page lists two options: install under a user account or
install globally (but do most of the work as non-root for safety).  You
only need to do one of these things, not both.  Unless you're setting up
a server for others to use (e.g., shared web hosting, where many users
will need a new Perl module you're installing), I suggest that you
install CPAN modules under a user account only.  So you don't need
Grigoriy's instructions, which are for a global install.

> I'm not a programmer but I'll dig around to see if I can find a way to get it to work within OSX. Not promising anything.

I appreciate you trying to help, but I think there's some
misunderstanding here.  I posted this wiki page URL as I thought it
could help you and others use Jean-Michel's Perl script without running
the CPAN shell and downloaded CPAN module code as root, which would be a
major unjustified security risk (in my opinion).  The instructions
should work as-is.

If you do try this out, please feel free to report success or failure
(unexpected) in here, but you really don't have to.  I think that for
your own use, you were also satisfied with the script that Jim and I
worked on.  Jean-Michel's script has the advantage of theoretically(?)
being more future-proof (more likely to work on plist files from a
future version of Mac OS X).  So I'd like to keep both scripts available
(likely as part of the next -jumbo).

Thanks,

Alexander