Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:00:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: I: failed installation of john 1.7.8

Hi,

I think pepa06's postings so far and magnum's reply were OK (thanks,
magnum! - you saved me a moment), but let's not continue this discussion
thread further.  This is not a Unix 101 mailing list, and in fact the
(new) issue of not having a file in the proper directory is not even a
Unix one, nor does it have anything to do with John the Ripper.

Before we setup the john-dev list for development topics, I was
concerned that we often discussed too advanced topics in here, which
caused end users to be afraid of asking their John usage questions.
Now that we have john-dev, things may be the other way around - the
topics that are still being brought up in here may be too basic.

What I'd like to see on the john-users list is some healthy mix of
basic, intermediate, and advanced John the Ripper usage topics (just not
development-only topics, which should now be brought up on john-dev).

Since I am posting a message anyway:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 06:03:04PM +0200, pepa06@...ero.it wrote:
> toto@...do:~/.john/john/src$ ../run/john psw.tst          (btw, the first
> method above didn't work)
> stat: psw.tst: No such file or directory
>
> nor did :
> toto@...do:~/.john/john/src$ ../run/john psw
> work
>
> note that i copied psw.tst (result of the unshadow command) into all
> directories: /john, /run, /src, /doc (you never know... )

Quite obviously, you never placed the file in the current directory
(which is ~/.john/john/src in the examples above) or/and you did not
actually name it psw.tst, nor psw.  No further discussion of this
non-John stuff, please.  But please feel free to post again once you
actually have a John the Ripper usage topic.

Alexander