Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:26:30 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: John 1.7.8 fails to compile under freebsd x86-64

The usage of the #include <stdint.h> / #include <stdbool.h>  in 'portable' C
code, has been talked about a little over on the john-dev forum.  Generally,
it does not make for easily portable code.  It will likely be something
addressed this fall, after the GSOC work has been completed.

As for the makefile rules, gmake and solaris make were the only 2 I had to
work with. I would like to 'find' a universally correct 'generic make' way
to do it, but so far have not found it.  Magnum was the one who found the
original sh/ls steps needed for gmake, then I found out how to do it for
both gmake/solaris in the same makefile using 2 steps. We either need to
find ways to add in new make languages, or find a universal method that
works.

Jim.