Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 05:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: firstname lastname <psykosonik_frequenz@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JTR MPI in Virtual Machine - Stats Prob

Hello Alexander and others,

I am new to the mailing list here. Greetings to all.

I am trying to setup JTR in an Ubuntu Virtual Machine with the MPI Patch. The problem is, when I run, ./john --test, I don't see any difference in the real c/s values. It increases only the virtual c/s.

Here are the details:

Hardware:

Intel core i7 Q2630M (2.0 Ghz)
4 GB RAM

Host OS: Windows Seven Home 64 bit
Guest OS: Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit running as a Virtual Machine in a VMWare Workstation.

I installed MPI support by installing mpich2:

apt-get install mpich2

I downloaded the precompiled MPI version of JTR.

For testing purposes, I picked JTR 1.7.3_mpi from here:

http://www.bindshell.net/tools/johntheripper/john-1.7.3.1-mpi8.tar.gz

I compiled it using

make clean linux-x86-sse2

after this, when I run benchmarks, here are my results:

./john --format=DES --test

Benchmarking Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2]... DONE

Many salts: 2512K c/s real, 2537 c/s virtual
Only one salt: 2101K c/s real, 2118 c/s virtual

and with MPI,

mpirun -np 4 ./john --format=DES --test

Benchmarking Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2]... DONE

Many salts: 2512K c/s real, 10245K c/s virtual
Only one salt: 2108K c/s real, 8448K c/s virtual

As you can see, there is no change in the real c/s values, however the expected values are showing up under virtual c/s.

I also checked the number of processors using,

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor

output: processor: 0

I am wondering, if this problem is due to any of the following reasons:

I am running JTR inside a Virtual Machine. It reports, 0 processors. There's no change in the real c/s value.

Please let me know, where I am going wrong with this and if you need more information in order to point me in the right direction.

Regards,
NeonFlash