Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:47:33 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: invitation to team john-users in KoreLogic's "Crack
 Me If You Can" DEFCON 2011 contest

Alexander,

On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 03:47:18PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> I'd prefer that you manage it on your own - that way, you'll be more
> involved and you'll contribute your time rather than CPU time only.
> This contest is by far not only about CPU/GPU time, but also about
> people's skills and creative thinking.  There are challenges prepared
> for us by the KoreLogic folks.  A computer alone won't solve those.
>
> If you feel your use of the machine would be too unoptimal, then maybe
> provide access to another member of our team - not necessarily to me.

I will try. I hope it will be possible to rearrange this computer then
if my use would be too unoptimal.

> For the software setup, I recommend that you install any Linux distro
> built for x86-64 - or boot off a LiveCD (must have working gcc and
> libraries sufficient to build JtR).  If the machine has an NVidia GPU,
> consider Yellow Dog Linux for CUDA (also available as LiveDVD):

This computer runs Debian GNU/Linux Amd64. It has following video card:
PCI-E 512МБ ASUS "EN8400GS/P(LP)" (GeForce 8400 GS, DDR2, D-Sub, DVI)
I do not know either it is NVidia or not. I guess it does not work
fully now because 3d games are too slow. Would Yellow Dog Linux be
better?

It is not a problem for me to install everything needed.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov