Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 13:44:24 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Re: John the Ripper 1.7.8-jumbo-4

There is a patch past jumbo-4. Solar beat me to completion by releasing J4
before I finished all I was working on.

The Jumbo-4 patch does get these md5gen sub-formats 'working' in x86-64
builds.  It does this by setting a flag that FORCES md5-gen to not use SSE
instructions (only for x86-64 builds) on the priorly broken sub formats.
Once it is forced back into 'generic' OpenSSL type mode (usually does not
use OpenSSL, btw), the code worked fine. However, any performance benefit of
the SSE enhancements were lost.

However, I have found the problem, and correctly fixed it. Now, these
subformats work correctly AND utilize SSE2i on linux-64 builds.   There are
also many more changes / improvements.

Thus if a user wants better performance, they can obtain jumbo-4 today, and
apply a few patches from the wiki pages, and get this performance.

However, it is likely that a jumbo 5 will be out shortly that incorporates
all of these changes into a single jumbo build.

The patches can be found:  http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches

NOTE, there is also a new John-Test-Suite (v1.05).  It is always good to
test your john build, to make sure it actually will find the hashes it
claims to be able to find.

Jim.