Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:14:42 +0200
From: Jean-Michel <jtr@...izoku.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: md5_gen format and sha1

Hi,

I have to add several formats to john the ripper.
By now, due to the great flexibility that the md5_gen format provides, I was
able to simply add them in the john.conf file whereas my previous patches
were written in C.

But the last format I want to add is SHA-1($p), having $p encoded in
UTF-16LE format.
sha1 support is still experimental but with the last of the jumbo patches,
utf-16le encoding is supported for md5.

Do I have to implement a full module, mixing utf conversion functions from
unicode.c and rawsha1_fmt ?

I tried this in the configuration file, but the test failed :
Flag=MGF_KEYS_UNICODE_B4_CRYPT
Flag=MGF_SHA1_40_BYTE_FINISH
Func=MD5GenBaseFunc__clean_input
Func=MD5GenBaseFunc__append_keys
Func=MD5GenBaseFunc__SHA1_crypt_input1_to_output1_FINAL

Test vectors can be easily obtained with those lines of python:
import hashlib
hashlib.sha1("password".encode("UTF-16LE")).hexdigest()

Thanks.

J-Michel