Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 04:05:37 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: custom-builds of Windows OMP builds, finally

Robert,

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:41:50PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> For Owl 3, do you recommend upgrading GCC to 4.6.1, 4.5.3, or 4.4.6?

I'd build 4.6.1 now.

(I retested the same instructions with a 4.7.0 snapshot shortly after
that branch was created, so I am quite confident they'd work for 4.6.1
as well.)

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 07:37:27PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> I tried following these complete instruction a while ago, in some previous
> version of Owl, but it might have been solaris.
> I didn't know I only needed to upgrade gcc itself.

On Solaris, you might need to upgrade something else as well.

> I think I got errors I didn't know how to correct doing something with
> "Build mpc".
>
> I'm glad you mentioned that I only need upgrade gcc. I give that a shot
> soon.

Oh, you _do_ need to build the prerequisites mentioned on that wiki
page: gmp, mpfr, mpc.  Or you may have them built along with gcc (this
is briefly mentioned on the wiki page as well), which is likely a lot
easier for a one-time build.

When I wrote that you only need to upgrade gcc, I meant that you don't
need to upgrade any other things that are present in Owl, most notably
binutils (Owl 3's version of binutils is already recent enough for
current gcc and recent CPUs, including with AVX).  gmp, mpfr, mpc don't
exist on Owl at all, so clearly you do need to provide those (but that's
not an "upgrade").

I hope this helps, and thanks.

Alexander