Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:40:47 +0200
From: Maximilian Melcher <melcher.maximilian@...glemail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Charset options

Hi list,

I have a small question: Is it possible to modify a charset like rockyou.chr
to stick to a password policy? E.g. password must be 8 characters long and
must contain at least 1 letter (all upper or lower), 1 digit and 1 special
sign ?

I've searched the FAQ/wiki and tried it with the external filters but:

1. I experience a huge performance inpact (~20%). As far as I understand the
filtering is worth it because not that many words are being hashed but
limiting the charset before the generation of the words would be better,
right? But on the other hand I do not want to loose the presumption of the
charset... Any solutions for that?

2. John still tells me "Warning: mixed-case charset, but the current hash
type is case-insensitive; some candidate passwords may be unnecessarily
tried more than once." - how to tell the word generator? :)

Thanks for your help and time
Max