Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 20:02:24 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Issues with gen_md5 new linking method

I have gotten your .pot file.

The problem stems from having the first character of the salt be a '$' char.
There is some 'magic' logic within the salt function, since md5_gen has to
handle a totally 'unknown' salt condition. There can be a salt, a 2nd salt,
the user name, and up to 10 fields.   The salt starts with a $s. The 2nd
salt starts with $$2  the user id starts with $$U,  then the fields start
with $$Fx where x is 0 to 9

So, what I 'believe' the code does, is if the first char of the salt is a
'$', then the salt function, grabs the entire salt (including the leading
$).  The logic behind this, was I was assuming that seeing the salt start
with $$ meant that there was a complex salt (which is broken apart later),
such as $$Uuser$$F2field2   So, the pointer that a 'normal' salt would copy
from is $Uuser$$F2field2, but the code is detecting the first $$ and backing
up and getting the whole thing, in preparation to later rip out the user ID,
and Field2 data.

However, in this case, we have a simple salt, and the salt starts with a '$'
char.  Thus, the code is returning $$xy for the salt value, instead of the
proper $xy.

I can make a simple fix to get this operating properly, and then put this on
my todo list.

I have attached the patch here, since it is such a trivial patch.  Please
let the list know if this resolves the problems you have seen.  Also, if
there still are additional problems, then if you can get me a file (offline
again) that demonstrates this, I will continue getting it fixed.  I have not
placed this patch on the wiki, and will wait to hear if this corrects
Jean-Michel's problem before I place it there.

Jim.