Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:19:13 +0200
From: "websiteaccess@...il.com" <websiteaccess@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: openmpi 1.4.3 and JTR 1.7.7 error compiling

On Tue, 10 May 2011 18:51:57 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> W.A. -
>
> First, as a moderator of john-users, I have to complain about two things:
>
> 1. Your use of pastebin makes your postings nearly useless to have in
> archives of the list - e.g., they won't be found when one searches for
> keywords related to the problem (build error messages).  Going forward,
> please spend a little bit of time to extract the most relevant error
> messages and include those into your postings themselves, in addition to
> possibly including the full info via an attached text file (if it's not
> too large) or via a link to pastebin or to somewhere else (otherwise).
> That is, your use of pastebin must not be a replacement to you including
> the most relevant info right in your posting.
>
> 2. Whenever you have something to add to one of your previous messages,
> even if that message did not yet make it through to the list, please
> "reply" to your own message (one received through the list or one you
> have in your sent messages folder).  That way, you'll keep the thread
> instead of starting a new thread just for your addition/correction.
>
> Now to the actual problem:
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:14:46PM +0200, spamivor@...il.com wrote:
>>  I have successfully upgraded openmpi 1.2.8 to 1.4.3 (OS X).
>> iMac-de-xxx-xx:openmpi-1.4.3 xxxxx$ mpirun -V
>> mpirun (Open MPI) 1.4.3
>>
>>  I try to compile JTR 1.7.7 (SSE2 + 64), I get errors.
>>
>>  this is the compiling error log at  http://pastebin.com/5jvvXrVR
>
> Here are the relevant lines:
>
> iMac-de-xxx-xx:src xxxxx$ make clean macosx-x86-sse2
> ld: warning: ignoring file /usr/lib/libmpi.dylib, file was built for
> unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked
> (i386)
> Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
>   "_MPI_Init", referenced from:
>       _mpi_setup in john-mpi.o
>
> It appears that you built/installed MPI for x86_64 (64-bit), but then
> you're making an i386 (32-bit) build of JtR.  This is why it fails to
> link against the MPI libraries.
>
> To get around this, you need to either build JtR with the macosx-x86-64
> make target or build/install MPI for i386 (32-bit).
>
> Disclaimer: the above is just my guess based on what I see in the build
> log.  I am not familiar with this stuff.
>
> magnum - just why did the older version of MPI that W.A. has been using
> for a long time with older versions of JtR and the MPI patch suddenly
> become inappropriate for the new version of JtR and/or for the new MPI
> patch?  This was unexpected to me.  I think there's something wrong
> about it.  Maybe there's a bug somewhere in the patch, which needs to be
> fixed, and W.A. should continue using his version 1.2.8 of Open MPI?
>
> Sorry, I did not bother looking at the pastebin stuff that W.A. has been
> posting before; relevant excerpts posted to the list would have worked a
> lot better for me.
>
> Alexander

I have compiled JTR 1.7.7 + patches with make clean macosx-x86-64

JTR works fine, but have still these "errors" :

iMac-de-xxx-xx:run xxxxx$ mpirun -np 4 ./john -test
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_ras_dash_host: perhaps a missing symbol, or
compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_ras_gridengine: perhaps a missing symbol, or
compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_ras_localhost: perhaps a missing symbol, or
compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_ras_xgrid: perhaps a missing symbol, or compiled
for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_errmgr_hnp: perhaps a missing symbol, or compiled
for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_errmgr_orted: perhaps a missing symbol, or
compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_errmgr_proxy: perhaps a missing symbol, or
compiled for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_iof_proxy: perhaps a missing symbol, or compiled
for a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
[iMac-de-xxx-xx.local:01444] mca: base: component_find: unable to open
/usr/lib/openmpi/mca_iof_svc: perhaps a missing symbol, or compiled for
a different version of Open MPI? (ignored)
Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2-16]... (4xMPI) DONE
Many salts:	9571K c/s real, 9477K c/s virtual
Only one salt:	8416K c/s real, 8333K c/s virtual

 W/A/