Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 21:33:59 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: John core change patch (and md5-gen, etc)

v-2 of this change just posted.  This release has had a lot of back and
forth testing (build testing and runtime detection testing).  I feel very
good about this release now. It should be ready to go. I placed the
post-jumbo-1-md5-2 patch there.   I have also built the diff against vanilla
1.7.7 and put it on the wiki also, calling it 1.7.7.jumbo-2-RC1-diff.

I know Solar hates bottom quotes, but I have left most of the original post
here, so people can see what was originally listed as included.    The
changes for the -v2 are these:

bf_fmt.c            init()
phpassMD5_fmt_orig  init() valid() added fmt_default_prepare to structure.
PHPS_fmt_orig.c     init() valid() added fmt_default_prepare to structure.
SKEY_fmt.c          valid() added fmt_default_prepare to structure.
md5_gen_fmt.c       Fixed numerous signed vs unsigned warnings
md5_mmx.S           Fixed data align bug (causing crashes)
format.c            $dummy% hash string was too short, and giving a
'prepare' failure.  Same 'shorter' check was already in loader.c

there were no bugs found in the md5_gen code (which I am glad about). There
were many warnings about signed vs unsigned char pointers, etc.  Those have
been cleaned up. There were only a few spots, since they were mostly in
#defines, but dozens and dozens of places they were used.  3 of the missing
older style format are not included in a 'normal' build, but I updated them
to the new format any way.  The bf_fmt.c has it's init inside of an openmp
which I do not build with, so it was missed.   The crash bug in md5_mmx.S
was never seen by me, because there was special #defines for MINGW32, so my
size was already right.  However, the other non MINGW builds cored for SSE2
builds under a x64 compiler.  NOTE, the same data alignment is there for
SHA1_mmx.S, but crashing was not observed there.  The item missed in the
format.c was due to reduced hash size of the dummy format.  It is new with
1.7.7 and something I had not accounted for, since most of my build/testing
was done on 1.7.6 and is quite old, done over the last year or so, even
though only released in full today.  The reduction from 13 bytes to 7 was
already done in loader.c  However, I needed the same check in format.c after
the call to the new prepare() function.

I am actually happy that so few issues turned up, and that they were very
trivial over all, since this was a pretty intrusive change, and since the
md5_gen code was about a 20-30% rewrite/new code.  I think the core changes
being release today should work well.

There will soon be some patches release which provide 'thin' support for
many formats.  The patch will move the existing 'fat' format to a new name,
and then drop in a thin format to the original file name.  There are already
a couple examples today, where the fat format is still hanging around, but
the thin format has taken over (phpass, PHPS, etc).

Also, there will be a patch sooner or later to get any changes needed to get
the intrinsic code working properly and fully with md5_gen.  I know the new
(27) and (28) (OpenBSD md5) will not work properly on MD%_PARA builds.  I am
hopeful that is most of the changes, and that the other code 'still' works.
But whatever is needed, will be added.   There may also be some intrinsic
stuff needed to get the SHA1 to use it in the md5_gen code (SSE2 is already
supported, but it is a little slower than 'native' SHA1).

Jim.