Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 23:00:04 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Following all the patch activity, not uploading
 to the wiki, which patches play well together, revising the wiki page to
 be better

[This is re-sent because the attached patches made it to big. I will
upload these "bootleg patches" to the wiki instead, and ask the original
authors to just delete them from the wiki when the real updated ones are
released]

On 2011-05-04 22:49, Robert Harris wrote:
> I'm finding it more and more difficult to follow all the patch activity we
> have had lately!

It will likely get even worse when Jim posts his "plumbing changes"
patches for 1.7.7 and we start to rebase to that. Then eventually it
will get much better.

> Some but not all patches are posted on the patch's wiki
> page and some patches don't work well with others.

Most patches work well with most others but there are ususally some
manual editing needed because all format patches modify the same places
in options.c and many other patches modify the version string in
params.h. This is a problem with diff/patch that is hard to work around.

I have thought of ditching the format list in options.c and create it
automatically from the structs instead. This will save us from almost
certain collisions between formats.

> Some patches are
> updated to the next version, and the wiki page may reflects this,  but if
> you aren't paying close attention you'll miss it.

If you subscribe to that wiki page, you'll get a mail whenever things
are added or updated. And maybe anyone updating a patch should move it
to the top of the list, so we always have newest first? I think that
would help a little. [EDIT: I started to do just that now with my patches.]

> Can we apply patch "john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-ssh-06-OpenMP.diff", before or after
> the OpenMP revision 4 and/or 7?   Or at all?

The OMP patches does not have jumbo in their names, so they are to be
applied before jumbo. Having said that, they do apply fine after jumbo
too. Either way, the version string in params.h gets rejected at some point.

I use to do it in this order:
1. john
2. one of omp4, omp7 or nsk3 (a.k.a Faster bitslice DES key setup)
3. jumbo
4. early release md5gen
5. intrinsics and intrinsics-fixes
4. fullmpi and utf8 in any order
5. any extra formats available

The "early relase md5-gen" patch applies just fine to 1.7.7 except for
the dreaded version string in params.h. The intrinsics patches need a
lot of hand editing. I managed to rebase it with good help from
git-mergetool but it currently breaks md5a. As these patches are
"bootlegs" I will attach them to this mail in case someone needs them,
but I won't post them to the wiki. [EDIT see top of mail.]

> These patches all applied after some manual edits, but the build of this
> failed, at least on windows.
>
>     john-1.7.7.tar.gz with the patches:
>                  john-1.7.7-jumbo-1.diff
>                  john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-rar-01.diff
>                  john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-ssh-06-OpenMP.diff
>                  john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-utf8-1.diff
>                  john-1.7.7-SybaseASE-01.diff

The UTF-8 patch needs to be updated, rev 1 had an ugly bug and some
32-bit problems. Other than that, I have no problems compiling the above
and all self tests passes.

> I think the different multi-CPU branches we have is a little confusing,
> especially when we mix all those different trees of patches with the
> "normal" patches.  That is why I suggested before that we break out those
> patches into at least on other separate table.  But, Alex axed that idea.

I would not object to breaking them out but I think it's fine as-is.
Note that OMP and MPI can be used together. For the single-host,
multi-core case you'll just pass GOMP_NUM

cheers
magnum