Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 23:03:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7.7 & 1.7.7-jumbo-1 + MPI error compilation OS X

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:53:40AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> W.A - 1.7.7 as of today does not add any new formats, performance or
> major functionality.

Actually, it does add the dummy format (for testing/tuning of rulesets,
etc.), AVX/XOP support for DES, better performance with large numbers of
hashes loaded for some hash types (most notably, NTLM), and
warnings/hints on alternate hash types.  Perhaps this is mostly
irrelevant to W.A. specifically and it does not count as "major".

> On the contrary, you lose intrinsics

Yes, the intrinsics patch by Bartavelle hasn't yet been updated, nor
merged.  Perhaps now is the time to consider it for merging again, if
it's implemented on top of 1.7.7-jumbo-1 such that it doesn't break
compiles on any systems.

> and enhanced Markov.

What's that?  I might have missed it.

> I do intend to post an update of fullmpi, but it's low prio. I would
> prefer to see a Jumbo with stuff like intrinsics, new Markov and utf-8
> added (not to mention Jim's proposed core changes) before posting an mpi
> patch because I'm not very keen on "maintaining" public versions of mpi.
> Not that I have any private things in my tree, it's just that it's a
> fairly long (and boring) procedure to rebase it to plain jumbo and
> regression test that.

I do intend to try merging those other patches you mention, except that
I am puzzled by the "new Markov".  It doesn't appear to be on the wiki.

Thanks,

Alexander