Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 20:42:39 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7.7 & 1.7.7-jumbo-1 + MPI error compilation
 OS X

On 2011-04-30 03:53, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-04-29 06:55, Solar Designer wrote:
>> All - I don't mind merging the MPI patch into jumbo, which will
>> apparently make life easier for W.A. Thus, please feel free to make and
>> submit a revision of the MPI patch suitable for integration into the
>> jumbo patch. It must not strictly depend on MPI; instead, it should
>> have -DHAVE_MPI, which could be uncommented in the Makefile to activate
>> the functionality (similarly to HAVE_SKEY and -lskey, which we already
>> have - these came from another patch I merged).
>
> Actually I almost finished an #ifdef'd fullmpi patch for 1.7.6 but I
> felt it was too intrusive to include in Jumbo so I never posted it. But
> I do use mpi regularly for non-OMP formats. Maybe I should reconsider.

I found a solution I can live with: It's now so adamantly ifdef'ed  that
if you do not enable it, you'll get a binary with the same sha1sum as a
pristine jumbo build. This way any bugs (of mine) are guaranteed to only
exist in an MPI-enabled build. And after some clean-up, it's not that
horrific, Now I think it may be valid to include it in Jumbo.

I'll release it soon, I hope. I outsourced some beta testing to W.A :)

magnum