Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: brad@...ystems.com
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Interface for John

<snip>

> I've partially addressed this above.  One more requirement (or strong
> preference) is that it should have native look on every major system
> it runs on.  This primarily applies to Mac OS X and Windows.  On Linux,
> it should probably have a GTK app look, which is pretty common.  This is
> why I had suggested wxWidgets (rather than Qt, or using GTK directly).
> My understanding is that it can achieve native look on Mac OS X and
> Windows, while being a wrapper around GTK on Linux and other Unix-like
> systems.  Is there any reasonable alternative to wxWidgets that meets
> this requirement?
>
> I don't strictly object to us using GTK directly (and thus having GTK
> look on every system...), but I would consider that a drawback.

Hi Solar,

FLTK is a nice GUI library that I've used in the past, it allows for all
of your requirements for a JTR GUI except the native look/feel you
mentioned. One benefit to a smaller GUI library (such as FLTK) is that it
can easily be statically compiled/linked so distribution is simple.
wxWidgets is nice too (I've used that as well), but it is larger and may
be trickier when it comes to distribution.

If the GUI is done well and "just works", people won't mind that it does
not blend in with the OS look/feel. Just thought I'd throw that out.

Brad