Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:50:47 +0100
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSOC - GPU for hashes

On 03/21/11 03:17, Ɓukasz Odzioba wrote:
> 2011/3/19 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
>> Hi Lukas,
>>

> Q8) Today i am going to library for Bruce Schneier's "Applied
> Cryptography". Are there any good books related to the topic, which I
> should look for?

while that book is a must have to understand all the basic principles
of cryptography if you just want to code for john i'd suggest you to take
a deep look in to the hash algorithm, in to jtr how opencl and GPU's
coding work.

For example to learn how SHA1 works i started reading the algorithm
on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha1 while at the same time
looking for sample codes to see how it works.

for opencl i suggest you to bookmark http://www.khronos.org/
i'm still reading it to understand how to really optimize opencl, even
if at the moment i'm a bit tempted to try calpp and give it a try since
it seems native code (cuda for nvidia and calpp for ati) gives 30% more
speed to your code.

There are some already some patches for opencl tough at the moment they
are still experiments and far from being good but at least they works
If you want i can give you in details the reasons for the rawSha1 and
Nsldap-sha formats i did, what is working and what is troubling me at the moment.

Regards
Samuele