Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:48:20 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: starting and 'running' the md5-gen format

I have been making some signficant changes to the md5-gen format.  It has
been noted that the current 'syntax' is diffcult to write (due to shell
quoting), and may be confusing in the near future, as more hash types get
added to it (such as SHA1, which will be added soon). This post is to hear
from users.  To find out what format syntax would like best for of this
multi-format format.

The current method is to:   -format=md5-gen -subformat=md5_gen(number)  And
in the john.pot file, the lines are listed as:  md5_gen(number)hash:pass

With changes coming soon, this can simply be done
as -format=md5_gen(number).  The -subformat will no longer be needed.  The
lines in the john.pot file, still store the same as today.

Now, the problems that have been reported are this:

1. the ( and ) are not nice characters, due to requiring shell quoting for
most systems.

2. the 'md5' will soon become confusing.   if -format=md5_gen(21) is used,
does this appear logical, if the format is sha1($p.$s)  ??

So, I ask the users as a whole, what should the selection syntax be for this
format.

It has been proposed to be -format=generic_number   This can be done, but it
will cause any pre-built hash files to be 'fixed'.  Also, the lines in
john.pot will not work.   Now, it could be that we
allow -format=generic_number to tell john which format to use, but still use
the md5_gen(#) signature within the input files, and within the john.pot
file.    This gets past the shell quoting (but would cause anyone that had
script files written, to possibly have to edit them).  It would allow
existing input files, and john.pot file to be used.

Even if we go with the -generic_number, it will likely be that the input
file signature (and john.pot signature) will be generic(number)   This is
since the hash will but up against signature.

Well, hopefully, I have not been too confusing in asking this.  I hope to
hear what others think would be best, in going forward.

Jim.