Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:33:28 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: md5_gen(0) broken for ages?

This change should fix the problem seen.  NOTE the change I posted to
the rawMD5go_fnt.c should also be done.

This change is to md5_gen_fmt.c in the get_salt function:

static void *get_salt(char *ciphertext)
{
	static char Salt[SALT_SIZE+1];
	memset(Salt, 0, SALT_SIZE+1);
+	if (saltlen==0)
+		return Salt;
	strncpy(Salt, &ciphertext[md5_gen_SALT_OFFSET], SALT_SIZE);
	Salt[SALT_SIZE] = 0;
	if (md5_gen_salt_as_hex)

The above should flip john into saltless mode for all saltless
Md5-gen formats.

Up to this point, I had not run any file with any data past the
hast, thus I have not seen this buggy behavior.

Jim.