Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:31:57 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 1.7.6-jumbo-12 fixes md5-gen self-test bug, improves MSCash*/OpenMP

Hi,

I've just released John the Ripper 1.7.6-jumbo-12.  It is available both
as a tarball ready to be compiled:

http://www.openwall.com/john/

and as a patch against 1.7.6:

http://www.openwall.com/john/#contrib

The changes since -jumbo-11 are:

The bug causing self-tests of md5-gen "formats" to fail and then crash,
which was introduced in -jumbo-10, has now been fixed.  I did this by
relaxing the assumptions/requirements of the self-tests.  The property
of md5-gen that I did not expect was actually of no consequence to uses
by JtR itself, or at least this is the current understanding.

The MSCash and MSCash2 "formats" have been enhanced to adjust the number
of key slots according to the number of threads with OpenMP builds.
This appears to have resulted in some speedup.  Here are the new numbers
on a Core i7 (8 threads):

Benchmarking: M$ Cache Hash [Generic 1x]... DONE
Many salts:     71221K c/s real, 8891K c/s virtual
Only one salt:  19517K c/s real, 2436K c/s virtual

Benchmarking: M$ Cache Hash 2 [Generic 1x]... DONE
Raw:    392 c/s real, 49.2 c/s virtual

Finally, I spotted and fixed a few unaligned accesses on big-endian
systems in mscash2_fmt.c, but I did not bother to actually test it on
such systems now (so there may be more issues of this nature anyway).

Since the changes since -jumbo-11 have been rather conservative (fixing
known issues only), -jumbo-12 is sort of a "stable jumbo" (an oxymoron?)

JimF has recently contributed improved md5-gen code (thanks!), which I
am likely to merge for the next update, thereby potentially/temporarily
making it "unstable" again.  Thus, -jumbo-12 is a good candidate for
"stable" builds now.

Thanks,

Alexander