Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 00:19:48 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR 176-jumbo11 - Imac OS X compilation

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 08:04:53PM +0100, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
> iMac-de-xxx-xx:run xxxxx$ ./john -test
> Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2]... DONE
> Many salts:	2901K c/s real, 2901K c/s virtual
> Only one salt:	2237K c/s real, 2237K c/s virtual
[...]
> Benchmarking:  md5_gen(0): md5($p)  (raw-md5)  SSE2 [md5-gen SSE2
> 16x4]... FAILED (get_hash[0](5))
> Benchmarking: PHPass MD5 SSE2 [phpass-MD5 SSE2]... Using phpass mode,
> by linking to md5_gen(17) functions DONE
> Many salts:	7857 c/s real, 7857 c/s virtual
> Only one salt:	7936 c/s real, 7857 c/s virtual
>
> Bus error

This is the known bug in -jumbo-11.  It was mentioned in my "release
notes" for this revision:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/02/04/1

"I enhanced the self-tests such that the NTLM bug above would be detected
by them now.  This ended up detecting another bug: in -jumbo-11,
"md5-gen" fails self-test for the 5th test hash/password when built with
-mmx or -sse2 targets (but not when using SSE2 on x86-64).  Moreover,
after this failed test, the very next "format" being tested results in a
segfault.  I left this issue without a fix in -jumbo-11, hoping that
JimF (the author of the "generic MD5" code in the jumbo patch) will take
a look. ;-)"

I am discussing this with JimF off-list.  It appears that the bug was
actually a difference in assumptions between JimF's "md5-gen" code and
my revised self-tests, which are unnecessarily too strict (they require
certain behavior that is currently irrelevant to JtR's actual use of
"formats").

This will be addressed in the next revision of the jumbo patch in one
way or another.

Alexander